A Time for Thanks
Thanksgiving is almost here and we are all excited about having family and friends together for the celebration. Besides the amazing food, America’s Thanksgiving Parade® here in Detroit, and the four-day weekend, Thanksgiving is an opportunity for us to reflect on 2014. It has been a banner year for the team at Special D Events, taking us down new paths and providing new opportunities to collaborate on creative projects that make a difference in the world. We work with such a diverse group of clients, we feel privileged to visit new places, identify new solutions and technology and partner with suppliers who share our passion for the meetings and events industry.
So, as we look back on the first 11 months of 2014, here are just a few things for which we are grateful.
- The role of the meeting planner continues to evolve and become more strategic. Planners are earning their seats at the corporate table.
- Rarely will you hear an event planner say, “I’m in the wrong profession” or “maybe I should’ve done something else?”. More often you will hear they left another career path for a more creative outlet such as this one. We love what we do!
- Although we embrace the increased use of communication technology, the value of face-to-face meetings is holding strong and continues to demonstrate return on investment.
- It’s an amazing feeling when you see the fruits of your labor. We are especially grateful to work in a profession that allows us to manage complex projects from start to finish, rejoicing in that event after-glow to which planners are so addicted.
- Our profession allows us to connect people and cultures globally. Whether this is done in the classroom or over a computer screen, the connections we helped make in just one year are too large to count.
- Scientists may spend their days focused on microscopic details, whereas national politicians are geared to the big picture and greater good for the country. However, meeting and event planners balance both the daily details and the global view. This is an exciting challenge that keeps us on our toes!
- It’s a great time to be in this industry. The Meetings Mean Business advocacy campaign enables leaders from across the meetings and events industry to work together to showcase the substantial value derived from meetings, conferences, conventions, incentive travel, trade shows and exhibitions.
- Our industry is full of great people. There are “creative types” and “analytical types”, but all of them are passionate about their work and this industry. It makes negotiations and tough conversations easier because that passion means they have the best interest of the event at heart.
- Our relationships with an amazing group of industry affiliates and suppliers enable us to provide seamless service to our clients. We’ve expanded our network considerably and made many new friends this year.
- Finally, we are grateful to have had one more year doing what we love for clients we respect. In 2014 we collaborated with them to achieve organizational goals, overcome obstacles, improve our processes and express our creativity. For that reason alone, the staff of Special D Events is extremely grateful.
Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!